Saturday, April 25, 2009

Last Days in Cornwall

How quickly it all recedes! I guess having a new grandson helps, but in just a week my trip seems far away. I should finish off the story.

After Easter Sunday with the folk at the Wadebridge Christian Centre I had a delightful visit to Trewithen Gardens, just outside Probus, where Jean's parents used to live. The gardens here are fantastic in the spring if, like me, you appreciate camellias, rhododendrons, azaleas etc. I wandered round snapping happily and finished with a cream tea. Then a walk along the muddy river from Tresillian to St Clement and back.

Wadebridge Christian Centre
They were happy, and they clapped, but I enjoyed their fellowship.

Trewithen Gardens

So many beautiful camellias

Just like home!
This is E.G. Waterhouse, which we have at the front door.

Not just camellias

Cream tea at Trewithen
They make their own clotted cream.

Between Tresillian and St Clement
The oak woods come right down to the water.

For my last day in Cornwall I drove to Rock, on the other side of the Camel estuary from Padstow, and walked to Polzeath, scene of many family holidays 40 or 50 years ago, and then out around Pentire Point.

Polzeath
Not so very different to the old days

There was a very reasonable swell coming in, forming a nice point break at Daymer Bay and an even bigger break (but a long paddle, as I well remember) at Polzeath. The cliff scenery at Pentire was spectacular, and I even met an old friend!

Daymer Bay point break

And people riding it

Bigger at Polzeath

The path to Pentire Point

Cliff scenery, Pentire Point
A fine example of pillow lavas (Ruth please note)

An old friend!
Cepaea nemoralis, the subject of my PhD thesis. An unbanded yellow out for a stroll.

ANZAC Day today
And I was surprised to learn that these famous lines were written on Pentire Point.

That's it for the UK trip.

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous looking break! And that cream...ooooh

    ReplyDelete